Mac Notebook: Mid-season play brings good fortune to MAC teams

Nearing the midpoint of the football season, many Mid-American Conference teams started to show their dominance while others sank in the standings or barely stayed float.

WESTERN MICHIGAN 45,

BOWLING GREEN 21

Quarterback Alex Carder and wide receiver Jordan White had another electric game together for the Broncos. This time, it was the Falcons plagued with the task of stopping them.

Carder passed and rushed for 307 yards with four touchdowns. White compiled 156 receiving yards and two touchdowns, to earn honors as the MAC West Offensive Player of the Week.

Bowling Green managed to keep pace until midway through the second quarter, when Western Michigan’s dynamic offense pulled away.

Western Michigan coach Bill Cubit gave credit to the Falcons’ offense but said that his team played a much better defensive game in the second half compared to the first half.

Bowling Green looks to end its two-game slide next weekend against rival Toledo. Normally the game is played later in the season, but it was moved up in the hope of increasing student attendance.

“This is one of many great reasons to be able to coach at Bowling Green,” said Falcons’ coach Dave Clawson. “Every year, regardless of record, we are excited about (the game).”

TOLEDO 54,

EASTERN MICHIGAN 16

Toledo battled its way back to .500 by bullying Eastern Michigan in front of a massive home crowd.

“The Glass Bowl was full, rowdy and loud,” said Rockets’ coach Tim Beckman, whose team is now 2-0 in MAC play.

Austin Dantin and Terrance Owens worked Toledo’s two-quarterback system to near perfection. Combined, they completed 27 of 30 passes for 302 yards and four touchdowns.

Eastern Michigan struggled to muster any momentum during the rout. The Eagles converted on only three of 14 third-down plays, turned the ball over three times and committed 12 penalties for a total of 85 yards.

“I thought we played our worst game of the year,” coach Ron English said. “We have to come back, show some character and get ready to play a much-improved Central Michigan football team.”

NORTHERN ILLIONOIS 40,

KENT STATE 10

The Huskies picked up their twelfth consecutive home win and the first MAC victory of the season. This time, it was not star quarterback Chandler Harnish who led the Huskies to victory but rather the defense.

Northern Illinois prevented Kent State from completing any first-half passes. Its pressure on quarterback Cedric McCloud also resulted in eight sacks.

Huskies’ coach Dave Doeren said the game was the first time this season he felt his team played well in all three phases of the game.

The latest loss puts Kent State in a tough position at 1-5. First year coach Darrell Hazell was pleased with the Golden Flashes’ defense but said his team is still fighting through some growing pains. 

mm938910@ohiou.edu