Ohio University President Roderick McDavis opens the Board of Trustees meeting with a speech at the OU branch in Zanesville on Friday. The board discussed multiple issues, including a 10-year plan to renovate older dorms and build new ones (Dustin Lennert | STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER).

McDavis announces new partnership with Athens

ZANESVILLE — Ohio University President Roderick McDavis spoke about a new partnership, several ongoing searches and fundraising during his quarterly report at the Board of Trustees meeting Friday.

OU and the city of Athens have joined the International Town Gown Association, McDavis said at the meeting. The organization’s mission is to help promote strong relationships between cities and universities, McDavis said, adding that he and Mayor Paul Wiehl already hold regular meetings.

“The whole idea is for the university and the city to come together,” McDavis said. “We’re excited to work with the city.”

Next, McDavis updated the board on two ongoing searches. OU is currently looking for a new vice president for University Advancement and a new director of government relations.

Howard Lipman, the former vice president for University Advancement, left OU for Florida International University in November. Lipman’s replacement will also serve as president and CEO of the OU Foundation.

The search committee will announce candidates next month and hopes to name a new vice president by July 1, said McDavis, who is serving as the interim.

McDavis did not give a specific date for when OU will fill the role of director of government relations but said the university hopes to find a new director as soon as possible.

Eleni Zulia, grant coordinator in the Office of the Vice President for Research, and Eric Burchard, director for corporate and foundation relations, are serving as interim directors.

“We’re fortunate enough to have two people that can fill that role,” McDavis said.

The president also told the trustees that OU is halfway to its $450 million fundraising goal. So far, OU has raised $231 million. The campaign, which began in July 2007, extends until June 2015.

“We have had a lot of good talks with alumni,” McDavis said. “I have not had a negative experience with an alumna yet.”

As part of his report, McDavis highlighted OU-Zanesville’s nursing program.

The branch campus’ nursing program provides area residents with an education at a lower cost, said Pam Sealover, the associate director of nursing. Currently, more than 7,000 people are studying nursing at one of OU’s campuses.

Nursing students Richard Higgs and Morgan Creighton said their overall experience at OU-Zanesville has been positive.

aw366209@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCampus

p{text-indent: 2.0em}