Greta Van Fleet released ‘Anthem Of The Peaceful Army’ on Friday. (via @spillmagazine on Twitter)

Album Review: Greta Van Fleet shoot big with ‘Anthem Of The Peaceful Army’ but fall flat

There’s something special about classic rock that most modern-day rock ‘n’ roll is missing. Maybe it’s the grittiness, maybe it’s the persona of the bands or maybe it’s something else completely. Nevertheless, Greta Van Fleet surpasses all of this, and revel in rock music and give it the nostalgia and feel of the 1970s. 

In Anthem Of The Peaceful Army, Greta Van Fleet is able to remain true to rock ‘n’ roll and the aspects of its music that made the band so renowned, while still attempting to experiment with different sounds on some songs. The album evokes the pure grittiness of rock music in the ’70s. Songs such as “When The Curtain Falls” or “Age Of Man” could easily have been on the iconic soundtrack of Almost Famous. 

Hailing from the picturesque, overtly German-inspired town of Frankenmuth, Michigan, Greta Van Fleet formed in 2012. The band is comprised of three brothers Josh Kiszka (vocals), Jacob Kiszka (guitar), Sam Kiszka (bass) as well as Danny Wagner (drums). 

The band is coming off the high of sold out shows and giant crowds at festival after festival. With its first two EPs, Greta Van Fleet established itself as a band that’s different. It pulls influences from classic rock, and it’s apparent. It seems like the band could evolve into a modern day Led Zeppelin if it wanted to. With songs like “Highway Tune” and “Black Smoke Rising,” listeners can tell that Greta Van Fleet are here to shake up the rock music world. 

Though the band attempts to diversify sound with songs such as “You’re The One” and “The New Day,” they fall a bit flat. The acoustic songs don’t compare to the bigger, bombastic rock anthems the band produces. Josh’s voice still resembles that of Led Zeppelin's Robert Plant, but lyrically they aren’t anything special. For a lack of a better comparison, the songs are not “Going To California” material. 

Due to the lacking acoustic songs, fans are left with sound that’s little to differentiate. Every upbeat song sort of sounds the same, and well, it gets sort of old after a while. Individually, the songs are all solid rock songs — they have killer guitar and Josh’s vocals are outstanding. They’re perfect for road trips, and it’s understandable why their live shows sell out. Despite the few standouts, the entire album is a bit lackluster.

There’s no doubt that Greta Van Fleet is a band to keep on one’s radar. Besides The Struts, there are no other rock bands that emanate the feeling of classic rock. They truly are unlike any other band in rock music at the moment. They bring a sense of nostalgia to modern rock music. It’s refreshing. Yet, they seemed to lack on this album as a whole. It’s an album to skip around on. Key tracks include: “When The Curtain Falls,” “Age Of Man,” “Watching Over” and “Lover, Leaver (Taker, Believer).” Otherwise, some tracks just don’t compare. 

Rating: 2.5/5

@_molly_731

ms660416@ohio.edu