Athens city pool

Athens officials eyeing a $7 million deal for two pools

Athens' current indoor pool is more than 40 years old.

In the midst of chilly January weather, Athens city officials have been thinking in terms of water slides, splash zones and a new indoor and outdoor pool for the city.

Athens city officials and representatives with the Athens Community Center, 701 E. State St., have been discussing plans to build a new outdoor and indoor pool at the center.

The current outdoor pool was constructed more than 40 years ago.

“I think it is hobbling along at this point,” said Councilwoman Chris Fahl, D-4th Ward.

Last month city officials chose Brandstetter Carroll, Inc. to be in charge of the planning stage for the pools.

“It is definitely time for an upgrade, so now we are in the planning stages and will begin looking at our options,” added Paul Wiehl, Athens City Mayor.

Last Wednesday, the Athens Community Center held a meeting to discuss future plans for the new pools, allowing residents to voice individual concerns.

About 100 Athens city officials and residents were present at the meeting to share their ideas.

Some requests for the pools include a zero-degree entrance into the pool, larger lap lanes, slides, splash zones, sprinklers and an Olympic-sized indoor pool to hold local swim meets.

A representative from Brandstetter Carroll, Inc. was present at the meeting Wednesday night.

Wiehl was impressed with the potential ideas for the pools, which were presented at the meeting, but said he recognizes that the city is working on a tight budget.

“A giant slide is great, but if that means we need a lifeguard at the bottom and at the top, then that means we are paying two people to just watch the slide,” Wiehl said. “For a normal rectangle pool you can throw a lifeguard at each end of the pool and have it covered, so we got to keep those things in mind.”

Councilwoman Jennifer Cochran, D-at large, said consultants have advised city officials that both an outdoor and indoor pool could be built at the community center for roughly $7 million.

Athens City Council President Chris Knisely also voiced concerns regarding the city’s budget and cost of the pools, respectively, at council’s meeting Monday night.

“My fear is that we design the outdoor unit … and say ‘Oops, it was a $10 million project and now we only have $3 million left,’” Knisely said.

Currently, there isn’t a set date for when the pools might be completed, but officials are hoping to have them built and opened up as soon as possible.

“They can actually build it over the winter months now, so hopefully we can finish the planning by (next) summer and get on with the process,” Wiehl said.

Wiehl said the city will soon be bringing in an engineering company to craft blueprints for both pools, and then officials will select a construction company to create the finished product.

“I probably won’t see it completed during my tenure as mayor, but I will follow it all the way through, and hopefully by next summer the pools will be completed,” Wiehl said.

@mcuds

mc835713@ohio.edu