Council discusses performing arts/community center

The proposal for buying a church building for $360,000 and developing it into a performing arts facility on the west side of Athens had its second reading at the Athens City Council meeting last night.

Council members voted to amend the ordinance, changing the wording to call the building a performing arts/community center, instead of just a performing arts facility. Because of the change, the ordinance will go back to first reading.

The former Church of the Nazarene, which has remained vacant for some time, has been proposed as a community development project to be used as the facility.

A related ordinance was discussed that will give Mayor Ric Abel the ability to submit a request to the Ohio Department of Development to use the city's revolving loan fund to purchase the facility.

The building's costs for utilities would be $181 for electrical and $302 for gas per month, said Paul Wiehl, D-1st ward.

Carol Patterson, D-2nd ward, told the council that costs would improve when the heating system and the windows were updated.

Half of the utilities cost could be paid with rented parking fees, Patterson said.

Other expenses could be paid through renting costs of the facility and performance fees, said Jim Sands, D-at-large.

We hope that it will be a very reasonable amount

Sands said.

Mary Lee Powell, an Athens resident, agreed that a place is needed for young and old to perform and enjoy.

(I) appreciate the fact that we might be able to perform in a space that will enhance performance she said.

Sarah Guthrie, a volunteer at Athens Middle School, told council that Athens gives good opportunities for performing arts and there is room for more in the community. She said she thinks the new performing arts facility is a good idea and will create a safe place for kids to express themselves.

A place like this will encourage [kids] to bloom and grow Guthrie said.

In other council news, an ordinance was passed authorizing the mayor to enter into a contract with Com Plus Data Innovations to upgrade hand-held parking meters.

This will improve the payment for parking tickets and reduce the number of outstanding tickets, Wiehl said. The new system will allow police to refuse renewal for registration if outstanding tickets are present on a person's record.

Currently, there is a 60 percent compliance with the payment of tickets. The new system is proposed to increase compliance by at least 11 percent.

Council also passed an ordinance to allow the mayor to apply for grants for the Athens transportation system, with $400,000 in annual appropriation.

Since 1999, the number of riders on the local bus system has tripled in Athens, mainly because of the inclusion of University Courtyard apartments into their routes. Patterson said she hopes that the city busing system can combine with Ohio University in the future to create an even larger system.

Also, Councilman Wiehl introduced an ordinance for its first reading that would authorize street paving and repairs. The city has $450,000 in its budget to make these repairs.

17

Archives

Meghan Nicholson